Thursday, October 13, 2011

Flying high in October


     This is the view from the top of the Singapore Flyer, 42 stories above the city. It's the world's tallest Ferris wheel, but not nearly as scary as it may look to those of you who suffer from acrophobia. For my money the elevators on the Space Needle and the Eiffel Tower are more frightening experiences. Perhaps if they had "Champagne Flights" you could reserve as we did for our 37-minute, single-rotation ride, they wouldn't be so bad either.
     It helped knowing that the flyer's operators reversed the direction of the wheel several months after it opened in 2008 on the advice of Feng Shui masters.
     Better safe than sorry.





4 comments:

Travener said...

Better you than me, Gunga Din. That thing looks like a big Tootsie Roll ready to go for a long, fast ride downhill. It appears to be held on to the wheel by the moral equivalent of toothpicks secured by Elmer's glue. I get vertigo just looking at the picture.

And I always close my eyes when going up the Space Needle.

Dan Pedersen said...

I'd take comfort knowing that if anything serious went wrong, I could get out and climb that little bitty ladder in the picture.

Roland said...

OK, now that's scary!

Anonymous said...

Dgg says ...

And were you wearing a bright, flowered short-sleeved shirt, plaid shorts, black socks and sandals when you did this?

Post a Comment