Sunday, September 25, 2011

Gum? You just need the right connections

     One of the more infamous laws in Singapore is the ban on selling and importing chewing gum (importing includes Joe Average walking off the plane with a few sticks in his or her possession). It's been illegal since 1994. However, it's not completely illegal to buy gum as I discovered during a recent trip to the dentist for a semi-annual cleaning.
     Dentists are allowed to sell gum for medicinal purposes. I had heard about this, but didn't give it much thought because I assumed "medicinal" gum would suck. While at the dentist, I saw Orbit sugar-free gum in the glass-covered display of dental-care products available for purchase. That would work. I used to be addicted to gum, but I was forced to power through the withdrawals.
     I'm back, baby! Here's my stash. The toothpaste and toothbrush were standard parting gifts, but the gum was well worth the S$1.70 per pack.



     So how is this all possible and what's to stop me from becoming a public menace with my gum? 
     The law was amended in 2004 when Wrigley leaned on the Clinton administration to include some concession as part of the U.S.-Singapore free-trade agreement. It was one of two final, uh, sticking points in the negotiations, according to Wikipedia. The other obstacle was a minor affair called the Iraq War.
     The ban was originally proposed because one of the country's top ministers was tired of it being used to vandalize public housing projects. What pushed it over the top to become law was how easily vandals were able to disrupt subway service by sticking it on sensors controlling the doors on the new high-tech subway trains. (Seems like that raises more important questions about the subway than the gum, but that's another topic.)
     Contrary to popular lore, you can't get caned for having gum in Singapore. But you will be named and shamed. Don't underestimate the power of shame in this culture. 
     Nevertheless, it doesn't seem particularly difficult to bring gum into the country as I accidentally discovered. I bought a pack of Japanese gum in Tokyo that really did suck (and it had sugar!), but I forgot about it in my coat pocket until after I got through Singapore customs. I threw it away when I got home, so I wasn't publicly humiliated. 
     All praise to Allah, Brahma, Buddha for that!

2 comments:

Travener said...

So how do they describe pickpockets and embezzlers, since "sticky-fingered" seems out of the question?

I love how vandals so quickly find the flaws in our modern devices, much as the original Vandals found the flaws in Roman defense policy.

Chew on that.

Dan Pedersen said...

Long live the blog!

I'm still chewing on the irony of a dentist dispensing gum. Roland, you remember Dave, our former dentist. He grieved when I confessed I was kinda addicted to gum, too.

Post a Comment