Friday, July 1, 2011

A break from nothing

     Since bashing my head into Martin Road a few weeks ago I've been under strict do-nothing orders. Sounds great, but like a kid thinking ice cream for lunch every day might be heaven on earth, it didn't take long for me to get sick of it. I got an idea for a low-impact escape when I saw a news report that Singapore will likely surpass Las Vegas this year as the world's second largest casino-gambling market. How strenuous could a trip over to the new Marina Bay Sands Casino be? 
     Even less so than I expected.


In fairness, it was Monday morning.
     I wasn't interested in playing slots or cards. My plan was simply to make a long-shot bet on the Mariners for grins and have a look around. Very low impact on all fronts. I quickly discovered, however, that despite showing the Yankees vs. White Sox game on the big screen, you can't bet on baseball in Singapore. The sports handle is limited to football (soccer) and Formula 1 racing only. 
     Alas, with no football matches or races of interest to bet on, the action proved too dull even for this invalid. Before heading back home, I took a quick walk around the main casino. I managed to get three frames shot before security politely put a stop to my game.


Pretty standard Vegas-style opulence.
      Macau is the undisputed casino-gambling leader with a handle four times larger than Singapore. Still, the Lion City's take ain't bad for a place with only two casinos and highly restrictive rules aimed at discouraging locals and encouraging out-of-town high-rollers. The lavish amenities surely help attract the big-dollar players. Those amenities include the opulent Marina Bay Sands Hotel next door, best known for both it's unusual architecture and... 

Night view courtesy of Wikipedia Creative Commons.
...its freaky looking roof-top pool 56 stories above the city.


This guy must be thinking, "Why is the riff-raff allowed up here?"
     Twenty local dollars gets you access to the Singapore Skypark. Not much of a park, but the views are pretty spectacular.


Where the money goes.
     Overall, though, it seems the park is designed to get you to take your pictures and get out. No big deal. It was time to get back to the sofa where I belong.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Dave Downing...

Glad to hear you're up and around, Roland. And you're definitely wandering in another world over there--that architecture is a trip.

Re your previous post, about running into the fellow who saw you topple: Nice to get some confirmation, right? I had to post signs for witnesses of my unremembered bike crack-up a couple years ago. Finally got a witness not of the crack-up itself, but the foggy aftermath. (My accident was thankfully NOTHING compared to yours. Just a concussion and 45 minutes lost and wandering the streets of Ballard.)

On the M's front: Ackley is the real deal.

Anonymous said...

This is Doug Edelstein ...

Rollo, you are the drollest! But that building with the rooftop park gives me the creeps. Not only is it a brazen affront to Nature and therefore an open invitation to an earthquake -- like the Titanic was an invitation to the iceberg -- and like the Hindenburg was an invitation to a wayward spark -- is that enough examples? -- I trust you understand what I mean -- but those infinity pools are just wrong. I mean, they look cool enough. But that sort of end-of-the-world, fall-off-the-edge look is too much for that height. I mean, how often does somebody inadvertantly -- or not -- go over the edge? Not "over the edge" like you went, out on Martin Road -- just, past the narrowing boundaries of what seems safe and prudent in the world for you and all of us aging adventurers. Plus I hear gloomy things about construction standards in some parts of the world. Am I an alarmist? Maybe. But like you and Dave, I have had my share of concussions. Once I was punched hard in the face for over-writing. Another time, whacked with a tire iron after explaining my views on Anthony Weiner. These are lessons not to be forgotten. I hope you have learned something from all this.

Roland said...

Dave, Getting Kumar's eye-witness confirmation was indeed helpful. At least I know I wasn't assaulted or hit by a car - though it feels like it. Are you back to biking with the same pre-accident zeal?

Roland said...

Doug, You were only punched once for over-writing?

Anonymous said...

This is Travener.

I have never been punched (slapped once, by my mother, deservedly) and never concussed (that I remember -- ha ha).

It's surprising how boring gambling can be, at least to those of us who don't get it. all the glamor and glitter and glitz and money sloshing around -- and from what? Tossing a couple of dice or flipping some cards. Odd.

Well, your tours of Singapore continue to be most interesting. Considering how screwed-up and hyperpartisan things continue to be here, I am revisiting my opposition to authoritarian nanny states.

Post a Comment