![]() |
Ride the rails all day for about 1,000 yen ($12.50 U.S.). |
Mask wearing. Margaret and I deduced (that's right, deduced) that the masks are worn by people who have a cold or flu, not because they're paranoid of catching what you might be carrying. They may be under doctor's orders. I don't know. But I like it.
![]() |
Subway station worker keeping her colleagues safe. |
Bowing. It's addictive. But you need do it right. You can't bow on the fly. It's not like waving. Come to a stop and bow slowly, with feeling. When our friend John Burgess first returned from teaching English in Japan, bowing had become second nature to him. It has since worn off, but how great would it be if Americans greeted each other with such respect? Try it out at work or in you neighborhood and let me know if it catches on. Here's a good example of bowing on the job.
![]() |
Luggage handler honoring a departing airport bus. |
I can't wait to return to the Land of the Rising Sun, where the streets are clean and orderly because they like it that way, not because the rules are strictly enforced.



2 comments:
Great post, Roland. I wish our Wild West culture could show a bit more interpersonal respect. The masks and the bowing make all kinds of sense.
But man, the circuit board intimidates me.
I'll take your word for it that the subway is actually navigable since I got dizzy just looking at the map.
The mask-wearing is such a nice thing. Too bad we Americans are too concerned with "looking stupid" to do it, too.
Post a Comment