I came across this shack near the end of a bicycle trek on Pulau Ubin Island -- and I did buy a drink. I was feeling sick from the heat and I had exhausted my own water supply. Luckily, I wasn't far from the village where I revived over cool drinks and a plate of what was billed as fried prawn roll.
It didn't look like prawns, but it was pretty good, as was the view from my table.
The guidebook described this barely inhabited island as the last vestige of the way life used to be in Singapore before it became a hyper-developed economic juggernaut. Kind of a hippy paradise.
I got to see this decent-sized monitor lizard laying waste to bugs along the path.
And I experienced the time-tested ferry fleet operating out of Changi Village.
Luckily, the captain was prepared for any emergency.
All in all, a good day-trip to Pulau Ubin Island.







8 comments:
Yeah, I think this is where you're going to find the seamy stuff for a novel.
Cool. Did you take those photos with your iPhone. If so, I'm impressed. As I am by the restaurant. I think the pink napkin is an especially nice touch.
That's what I've been looking for! Looks like a setting Hemingway would love.
Great job. Because all these insurance wonks in the US are living vicariously through you, expectations are high. Thanks for coming through for us.
I don't know ... are you sure you don't want to sit in on an AM Price Point Error Billing Resolution meeting instead? I'll hold a spot for you.
Travener... any napkin is a nice touch here. No iPhone was used in making this travelogue.
CRB... Sweet memories!
Look - Diet Coke!!! Perhaps I could survive in Singapore!! OK, yeah, the lizard freaks me out - but Diet Coke!!!
Post a Comment