I sampled this dessert at a food court when we first arrived here.
If only I had seen this warning posted in the subway station.
I'm thinking the punishment is so harsh they can't even list it here.
To be fair, it was the most vile thing I've ever eaten. The stench drove Margaret away from the table. I abandoned ship as well after making a foolhardy attempt to choke some of it down. It was at least 36 hours before I stopped tasting and smelling the putrid substance.
What was it? Ice shavings topped with durian, a fruit grown all over southeast Asia. Some love it. Some hate it.
Here's Wikipedia's balanced description: "The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust and has been described variously as almonds, rotten onions, turpentine and gym socks." I was in a grocery store recently where one of the food stalls was working with it and I overheard a tall, blond, middle-aged Aussie woman insist to the manager that there was a gas leak somewhere in the building.
I'm with the authorities on this one. I'm glad they're watching.


6 comments:
Sounds like the punishment is sure and swift when you take the first 36-hour bite. However, it is only a matter of time before the authorities review the video and come looking.
I have to say the product looks mouth-watering in the photograph.
The fact that durians can't be included under "eating and drinking" tells you all you need to know.
What Andy said. Kind of makes me wonder what you're really supposed to do with it. Best probably not to think about it. By the way, you guys should register with the Embassy, just in case you lose your passports, get hit by a bus, eat one too many durians...
Deceptive advertising at work there ... throw in the word "Kachang" and how can you resist?
When I told Jonathan about this, much to my surprise he knew what durians are. Apparently they're used as some kind of weapon in one of his Super Mario video games- I guess you throw the spiky fruit at other people. But it sounds like their smell alone can be used as a weapon!
Thanks for warning me - I almost had these on the dessert menu for the Leadership Meeting in Feb. See what you're missing, Roland?!
Post a Comment