Friday, March 4, 2011

Taking vintage to another level


There is nothing particularly unusual about old shophouses being renovated like these two just down the street from us on Kim Yam Road. You see it all over Singapore as the city strives to preserve its remaining architectural heritage that has been largely lost to rampant development. What's different here is the scaffolding. Yes, those are sticks. 


It unnerves me to think about standing two or three floors up on a structure that looks like it could be taken out by a large dog with a frisky tail. I'm sure it's stronger than it looks, but it seems to take the concept of vintage a bit far. It's not like better tools aren't available. All over the city, contractors are using modern equipment to build high-rise condos and office towers. 

This picture was taken just a little further up Kim Yam Road just outside our condo. You can find similar scenes of new bumping up against old all across the city as developers try to keep up with what seems like limitless demand in Singapore's sizzling economy. More to the point at hand, the builders of these condos appear to be using the best tools and materials money can buy. It makes me wonder if the luddites using the wooden scaffolding deserve kudos for authenticity or a visit from the Singapore Building & Construction Authority.

Post Script
Speaking of new crowding old, I was walking home today after a visit to the Chinese Visa Centre and took this photo. It's perhaps the most photographed view of the city. It's located at Boat Quay on the Singapore River.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the same rickety things in Italy and Lithuania, though not quite so bad. Apparently, the idea of secure scaffolding is an American one.

That's quite a nice view. Blue skies, too, and, according to your little weather thingie, 77 degrees. Of course, that's in the evening and the RealFeel (tm) says 86 degrees and no wind. Still, beats gray skies and frost.

What were you doing at the Chinese Visa Center? Is that were you go to get a Chinese visa, or where you take your Visa to buy Chinese goods?

Roland said...

Travener... the northeast monsoon season is waning, so more blue-sky days but less breezy and thus higher heat index. It's now routinely 90 degrees in the afternoon and feels like 100. Mornings and evenings are about as good as it gets, though.

I went to the Visa Centre (that's how we spell here) to apply for a visa so I can accompany Margaret on a China trip next month.

Anonymous said...

I saw the same scaffolding in India, but there it climbed 5-6 stories. I assume if you've made the decision to use that kind of equipment, you've also skipped over the hard-hat requirement.

Catherine said...

Can you imagine what an OSHA inspector would say to that kind of scaffolding here? (Although I can think of some businesses that would probably try it if they thought they could get away with it)

Post a Comment