Tokyo visitor guides tend to emphasize how the city is more experiential than monumental; that wandering the neighborhoods is the best way to take it in. The neon stoked parts of the city, like Ginza with its overkill of shopping, are definitely worth experiencing.
Or you can try to find your way out of Shinguku Station, purportedly the world's busiest train station, and go to the the New York Bar at the top of the Park Hyatt Hotel and channel your inner Bob Harris from Lost in Translation.
![]() |
It's Suntory time! They also offer Coppola wine. |
The narrow lanes that survived WWII bombs and post-war rebuilding make a nice counterpoint. Yanaka Ginza is a perfect example. It took a little wandering to find it because it's hidden in a nest of other crowded streets that are also pretty interesting. It doesn't help that Tokyo isn't big on street signs. But you know when you finally stumble on it.
East entrance to Yanaka Ginza. |
It's a working shopping street for locals and I arrived just in time for the evening rush. What made it fun for me was the street food being served up by every three steps.
Preparing my eel on a stick. |
Sticky sweet. Seriously, super-glue sticky. |
Greasy goodness. |


5 comments:
But where's Godzilla? You are living the life, my friend. Galivanting around while your life partner/spousal-type unit does all the heavy lifting! Japan looks fascinating. Not so sure about eel, though. No matter how they'd cover it up, I'd still know it was eel.
Travener... No doubt about it, I have found my niche with galivanting.
That street food looks amazing. I heard they sell beer and other crazy stuff from vending machines all over the place there. True?
I heard someone over there sells live crabs in vending machines ... which prompted Colbert to spoof that they also sell vending machines in vending machines.
I did see vending machines selling beer in Tokyo, but no live crab. I also saw beer in the machines at the Shanghai airport. Side note on my layover in Shanghai: the police confiscated my liquid hand sanitizer after unsuccessfully attempting to light it on fire. Who knows where I'd be right now if it had burst into flames?
Post a Comment